Am I a qualitative researcher?

In 2012, I met with two academics who would become my PhD supervisors the following year. I told them that I wanted to conduct research into women’s experiences of a condition called endometriosis. I wanted to know what clinicians could do to support women in the absence of effective treatment and a cure. They suggested I incorporate a qualitative component into my associated funding application. This made me nervous.

I had just spent four years studying psychology, a discipline that can, shall we say, be desperately positivist. This education had taught me that ‘real’ research involved numbers. Why else had I just studied four years of statistics (a subject that I loved) and nothing else?

Despite these ingrained beliefs, I could see how speaking with women was consistent with my research questions. It also made sense from a feminist perspective that women were the experts in this matter and should be privileged over the psychometrics (mostly designed by men, for men) that I had originally envisioned. I felt better.

Throughout the first year of my PhD, as I became more immersed in the literature and further refined my research questions, it became increasingly clear that my methodology should be qualitative only. This made me nervous again. Could you even get a PhD with ‘only’ qualitative research? (Yes!)

My school had no qualitative course at the time—few universities in Australia do. My primary supervisor trained me in the methodology from the ground up. She had me learn, understand, and appreciate the theoretical foundations before I dared to even draft an interview schedule. And I’m so glad she did.

This apprenticeship gave me a unique skill set that has proven valuable again and again throughout my (early) research career. I can grow a qualitative research project from the seed of an idea nurtured by rich theoretical underpinnings to a fruitful project that produces ‘real world’ change. So valuable is this skill set that every job I have received since starting and then completing my PhD, from research assistant to research fellow, has been because of this skill set.

Even so, I still find myself unpacking views about qualitative research that I have unconsciously internalised from the world of academia. That interviews with a few people can never be as valuable as a survey with thousands, for example. Sometimes, to my embarrassment, I find myself getting prickly when someone calls me a ‘qualitative researcher.’ I’m often quick to tell them that I’m also skilled and experienced at quantitative methods.

Qualitative research is often seen as ‘fluffy’ research, not ‘real’ research, or that thing you sometimes do before the ‘real’ research begins (e.g. to inform the development of survey questions). It is constantly placed at the bottom of the research evidence hierarchy. 

I strongly believe that such beliefs are at least partially explained by the feminisation of the methodology. In many countries, there are prominent socially constructed beliefs that boys/men are naturally good at numbers (quantitative) and girls/women are naturally good at talking about feelings (qualitative). Further, because qualitative research is often used to explore the experiences of women and marginalised groups—populations that quantitative research has rarely been designed with and for—the methodology is belittled along with the practitioners.

Recently my partner, an educational designer, developed and is executing his first qualitative study. We have had a lot of discussions about the ways he could do this while privileging the participant voice, ensuring rigor (quality of the research process), and meeting reporting objectives for his team. In having these discussions, I was reminded of what a complex and sophisticated methodology this really is. There are few ‘step by step’ processes to follow. Each project is unique and must be developed with critical and reflective thought.

I still get a little thrill every time I analyse a data set and search the output on SPSS to find the ‘answer.’ But it is nothing to the thrill of interviewing participants. Of being given the honour of a glimpse of their lives at challenging times when they have broken and when they have grown. Of being trusted to do something respectful and meaningful with it. Of thinking about the complex social structures that have potentially influenced or shaped those experiences for better or worse, and how to apply these to improve experiences, lives, and outcomes.

Academia has a lot of problems. Underpaid staff with little to no job security, a lack of diverse gender and cultural representation in research and teaching, and performance measures relying heavily on publications that result in little ‘real world’ change, to name but a few. But I love being a researcher. I can’t think of any other career where I can combine so many fabulous and thought-provoking skills and experiences. I feel immensely grateful to be here and hope that I can stay for a whole career, an increasingly difficult feat.

So, am I a qualitative researcher? Or a researcher who uses qualitative methods (among others)? I’m not sure. I just know that I am a researcher who loves to hear the stories people gift me in the hopes of making the world a little better, and who feels immensely privileged to be doing so.

Kate x

Image via Pexels.